Stuart Young - Headteacher at The British College of Brazil (BCB)
1. How many years have you worked for the BSF and where?
I have worked for the BSF for 12 years. I began in Beijing and now lead our school in Sao Paulo.
2. Why did you choose to work for the BSF?
When I joined, there was only one school in the Foundation. I joined BSF as I was looking for exciting opportunities teaching internationally. I found it!
3. What positions, and for how many years, have you had at the school(s)?
I opened our school in Sao Paulo 6 years ago.
4. What do you love about your current school?
I love the internationalism of our school. As I was the founding head, this is a very special place to work, especially when I consider the development over the past 6 years.
5. What do you love about the area/country?
Brazil is an extremely vibrant country to live in. The travel opportunities are wide and varied; it's been an exciting place to live!
6. What do you like most about teaching internationally?
International schools provide you with an opportunity to do what you love in exciting environments.
7. What strengths/skills helped you get to where you are today?
The support from the Foundation provided me with the opportunity to lead and open the school here in Sao Paulo. I am a resilient person and this allows me to overcome challenges and look for alternatives.
8. Which of your childhood teachers stood out and why?
It was a Primary school teacher when I was in Year 6 that inspired me to become a teacher. He showed me that learning can be fun and exciting if planned in the right way.
9. What are your most treasured teaching resources?
I’ve given these up for leadership handbooks!
10. What is the most memorable lesson you have taught?
Probably Primary science lessons that are practical, messy and inspire exploration and questioning.
11. What do you like to do outside of work? Do you have any hobbies?
I love music of all kinds. I really enjoy cooking and eating at great restaurants. I try to keep fit by running and Pilates and I love exciting travel opportunities.